Sunday, November 20, 2011

Why do I want to be a full-timer RV'er?

That seems to be the same question I hear over and over.  Why would you do this? Why would you be willing to set out - by yourself - and just...drive?

Why?

Because if I were to die tomorrow, the only regret I would have is that I never got to travel as much as I wanted to - I never got to really know the different areas of this Nation.

I don't intend to die with regrets.

I'm passionate about visiting different areas...I want to see and touch history.  I want to experience the spirits of yesterday and yesteryear.  I want to see where my father's family came when they departed England back in the 1500's.  Why did they stay and why did some return to England?  It's as if I want to land on Plymouth Rock and walk the paths my ancestors walked as they found planted their roots in this new land.

For me - to see their homes, how they lived and how they died is almost like opening a secret book of tintypes that flip forward throughout the history of my predecessors.

I have this ability - call it what you may - I can touch something and feel its history. I can feel those who used or loved the item. I can stand in the room of an old Victorian and see the surrounding areas through the eyes of the original owner. It doesn't last long, but it is strong, visual and very emotional.  Same with items I touch. I'm a tactical empath. It's enough to draw me to the history of an area.  I love cemeteries.  I love antique stores. I love old towns. These are truly the heart beat of America with stories to to discover just under their surface.

I want to explore and play detective - whether real or imaginary - and find the secret lives of the people who lived there.  I want to see Maine and explore the North East.  I want to visit all the battle scarred areas - I want to understand Washington's Christmas Eve crossing of the Potomac.  I want to dissect the stories hidden behind the headstones.

My goal is not to winter in Arizona or somewhere in the desert when the wind starts to blow cold.  I welcome the cold.  I burst into guiddy smiles when the snow flies. But I understand it may be difficult to survive in Minnesota in January - so my route will need to be determined based upon my need for warmth and history.

I want to travel the Road Less Traveled, I want to understand what Jack Keouac experienced in his drive across the nation. I want to see the Atlantic the same way Daisy did in the Great Gatsby.

So there you have it.  I want travel because I love history and literature.  I want to see the Mississippi the way Twain wrote about her.  I will stay as long as I'm welcome and explore as best I can. If a part-time job pops up, I'll take it too!  Along the way, I will talk with people and connect with the ones who have lived there forever.

I can never remember a time in my life when I didn't want to travel.

What about you?

Why do you want to travel?

I believe there's a book (complete with pictures) detailing my adventures. I promise.  A real book...but until then...there will always be these blogs!

So What to you think? I truly look forward to hearing from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment